The new year gives us the opportunity to plan and deploy the computer and network security upgrades we need to implement to protect us from the exploits of cyber-criminals and other bad actors. What is on your list? Going to start using a password manager? Signing up for two-factor authentication? Starting to use encryption? Or adding a security proxy? Moving from a simple firewall to a unified threat management system? Maybe this year we will really get them done!!
Here’s my list:
- Use a password manager
- Long passwords of at least 12 characters
- Use passwords randomly generated by your password manager
- Set up a two-factor authentication app or USB key
- Enroll in two-factor authentication at web sites and services that support it.
- Add a TLS certificate to your website to provide for encrypted communications.
- Use the encrypted ports for email.
- Turn on Bitlocker encryption for your computer or laptop.
- Encrypt contents of on-line databases.
- Encrypt all data in storage devices
- Encrypt everything.
Web filter proxy
- Use a web proxy service such as OpenDNS/Umbrella, Quad9, or Rubica
- Use a web application firewall for your website, like Wordfence.
There of course are other initiatives that you could add to your own cybersecurity to-do list. Please leave your comment to share what plans your company has for 2019.