I found this article to be very interesting and entertaining. Here is the link to PC World.
The ten biggest technology blunders listed in the article are:
- Yahoo fails to acquire Facebook in 2006.
- in 2000, Real Networks passed on the music player design that became the iPod
- Sony and Toshiba battle over HD-DVD standards starting in 2002.
- Digital Research, inventor of the CPM operating system, turns down IBM in 1980, opening the way for DOS and Microsoft
- Xerox invents the personal computer in 1973, does nothing to market it, but shows it to Steve Jobs and Bill Gates in 1979.
- The recording industry sues Napster in 1999, missing the chance to partner on a transformative distribution and sales model.
- CompuServe misses the chance to rule the Internet in the 1990’s by letting AOL carpet bomb user with free CDs and unlimited pricing.
- Newspapers fail to see the Internet as a low cost method of distribution and fail to compete with Craigslist for advertising.
- OpenText abandons web search in 1995, sacrificing a three year lead over Google.
- Microsoft saves Apple in 1999 with a $150 million investment.
The entire article is worth the read.Share