Thanks to QZ.com (The insults in other languages that sound the strangest in English) for these nuggets. Inspired by cjmerc39’s Reddit post.
- Vai a quel paese (Italian)
Literally: Go to that country.
Means: Go to hell.
- China, I’m going to donner you (South African English)
Literally: Friend, I’m going to thunder you.
Means: I’m going to beat you up.
- Anda a ver si el gallo puso (Venezuelan Spanish)
Literally: Go see if the rooster laid an egg.
Means: Go away, stop bothering me.
- Estás más solo que un colegio de noche (Venezuelan Spanish)
Literally: You’re more alone than a school at night.
Means: You’re completely alone.
- Dummkopf (German)
Literally: Dumb head. (No explanation needed.)
- Une vache espagnole (French)
Literally: A Spanish cow.
Means: Someone who speaks French with a poor accent.
- Hún dàn (Mandarin)
Literally: Mixed egg.
Means: You bastard.
- Pónte las pilas (Spanish)
Literally: Put your batteries in.
Means: Get on with it.
- Qué mala leche (Argentine Spanish)
Literally: What bad milk.
Means: How rude/unpleasant.
- Qué poca madre tienes. (Mexican Spanish)
Literally: How little mother you have.
Means: You’re so rude.
- Estás mandando fruta. (Argentine Spanish)
Literally: You’re sending fruit.
Means: You’re talking nonsense.
- Casse-toi (French)
Literally: Go break yourself.
Means: Get lost.
- Tōfu no kado ni atama wo utte shinē (Japanese)
Literally: Go hit your head on a corner of tofu and die.
Means: According to one Reddit user, it “used to refer to complete idiots, presumably whose heads are so useless they’d stop working entirely if they hit a corner of tofu.”
- Gey strashe di gen (Yiddish)
Literally: Go threaten geese.
Means: You don’t scare me.
- Gey kakken oifen yam (Yiddish)
Literally: Go take a poop in the sea.
Means: Go to hell.
- Es más feo que un carro visto por debajo (Colombian Spanish)
Literally: He/she’s uglier than a car seen from below. (Self-explanatory.)
- Nicht alle Tassen im Schrank haben (German)
Literally: To not have all the cups in the cupboard.
Means: To be a bit of an idiot.