We generally delve pretty exclusively in cybersecurity issues here, but I received an email from Marie Villeza of Elder Impact and thought the information was worth posting. Members of my own family have fallen for some of these scams, one lost $16,000 to scammers claiming to be the police, who accepted this payment in lieu of charging a “grandchild” with a crime. Below is the body of Marie’s email.
From: Marie Villeza <email@example.com>
Subject: Resource Guides to Help Catch Scammers Before They Trap You
I’m reaching out because I think you share my indignation about all of the fraudulent activity that’s out there, and I’m hoping you’ll help me on my mission to fight it.
I’ve been moved to action after a family member was taken advantage of by a scammer in Las Vegas, who banked on her love and dedication to her family and convinced her to wire him thousands of dollars before vanishing without a trace. I can’t help but think that if we had taken steps to alert her to such scams – how to recognize them, how to be effectively cautious with her information, etc – this could have been prevented.
I’ve assembled a “Fraud Prevention Checklist” on my ElderImpact site (see below), which I think is a good starting point for a checklist as well as for reading further on the most common scams. These are useful action items for everyone! I’d love any input or recommendations from you on how to make it better.
Additionally, I found some further resources that I thought might be helpful, and that I’d like to invite you to share with your audience.
- Fraud Prevention Checklist http://elderimpact.org/fraud-prevention-checklist/
- US DOJ : Identity Theft and Identity Fraud http://www.justice.gov/criminal/fraud/websites/idtheft.html
- Guide to Preventing Home Improvement Fraud http://www.homeadvisor.com/article.show.Preventing-Home-Improvement-Fraud.17322.html
- Consumer Reports’ 9 Steps to Protect Against Credit Card Fraud http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2014/09/protect-against-credit-card-fraud-now/index.htm
- Avoid and Report Medicare Fraud http://www.planprescriber.com/medicare-insurance-news/medicare-fraud/
Thanks, and have a great day!
ElderImpact.org | 340 S Lemon Ave #5780 | Walnut, CA | 91789