US-CERT sent an announcement on May 9th about new resources for small and medium size business owners and managers. Protecting Small Businesses can be found on the FTC website. It includes information about:
- Protecting your business from scams
- Data breach response
- Protecting personal information
There are also helpful videos about:
- Building security into software development
- Controlling access to data
- Defending against ransomware
- Data breach response.
There is also a section of actual FTC cases. I would recommend taking a look at this site, as we have just covered the highlights that apply to cybersecurity. There are other financial and general business resources as well.
Moving to US-CERT, they are offering Resources for Small and Midsize Businesses (SMB). This features:
- C3 Voluntary Program SMB Toolkit
- Stop Think Connect Toolkit
- SBA Training information
- Federal Small Biz Cyber Planner
- Small Business, Big Threat risk assessment tool
- Internet Essentials for Business
- and other resources
These resources are tax supported, and since you have paid for them, you ought to take advantage of them. Creating a cybersecurity program can be a daunting project, but these sites should make it easier to get started.